“Who dares to teach much never cease to learn.” – John Cotton Dana

In my perspective, this quote symbolizes the fact that there is no magical time in which we ‘become’ teachers such that being a teacher is a life-long process of learning and conveying new information. ‘Daring’ to teach speaks to the demanding challenges of teaching and depicts the boldness of those who choose to do so. Never ceasing to learn refers to a teachers’ willingness to constantly educate themselves to ensure they are providing their students with accurate and updated information. The new curriculum is structured around inquiry-based teaching and learning which allows students to explore content that intrigues them. The scope of information will increase; therefore, the demand of teacher-knowledge will increase as well.

I chose this quote to represent an aspect of my teaching philosophy because I am a strong believer in life-long education. Whether it is formal education, or generational knowledge being passed down to you, one should always strive to continue learning. An inquiry-based model provides growth for both the teacher and the student; a student may choose to study a topic that the teacher is unfamiliar with, therefore, will also have to research to gain more knowledge in order to assess. This reciprocated form of learning is a new concept in schools, considering when I was in grade school, the teacher taught us from a textbook and there was seldom room for discussion. As a future teacher, I plan to use inquiry-based assignments whenever possible because I believe this style of learning allows students to practice their analyzing, synthesizing, and critical thinking skills that transfer into life skills as they get older. Further, this will display what my students are interested in and it will expand my horizons and allow me to continue my journey of life-long learning.