TRU Soccer Camp Instructor

June 2013/2014/2015

Tournament Capital Centre, Kamloops BC

Every summer, the TRU Women’s Soccer team holds a free soccer camp for one weekend. This camp provides many soccer-related activities and drills for children ranging from 5-13 years of age for 5-6 hours. This valuable experience taught me how to use management strategies outdoors which as I began to volunteer more, I found to be much more difficult than managing children indoors. I am grateful for this opportunity that allowed me to grow and develop management strategies in a very flexible environment.

Assistant Gym Trainer

May – September 2015 – 2017

Crosby’s Training Center, Kamloops BC

This opportunity allowed me to physically train children between the ages 12-18 under professional supervision of a personal trainer. I would participate in creating personalized workouts and lead workout sessions of various sports teams. Being around your friends and teammates can often lead to hyper activity, so this experience allowed me to work on my judgement of when it was time to gather the children back together, and when to let them have their free time. This essentially allowed me to work on my ‘teacher’ voice and learn how to use organizational strategies.

Wendy’s Dreamlift Day  

2011-2019

Wendy’s Locations, Kamloops BC

For Wendy’s Dreamlift day, there is a day set aside once a year to raise money for children that are in hospital. With this money, Wendy’s sends these children and their families to Disneyland for a fun family trip. Being able to raise money and give back to children gives me a strong sense of community and citizenship. This will always remain as one of my favourite volunteer days.

McDonald’s McHappy day

2011-2019

McDonald’s Locations, Kamloops BC

For McDonalds McHappy day, once a year McDonalds takes $1 from Big Macs, McCafe hot beverages, and Happy Meals to Ronald McDonald charities, along with other children’s charities. Along with Wendy’s Dreamlift day, McHappy day was always a very rewarding day. To see the community come together to raise money for such a beneficial charity is very powerful and taught me empathy and compassion. These characteristics have become very dominant within me and I strive to showcase them in my teaching practice.