This is my fifth and final head shot that was taken for my last year playing for the Thompson Rivers University Women’s soccer team. This picture is more than just a head shot; it is a sentimental piece that reminds me of how hard I worked to finish my degree and get into my dream program, Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) and play my final year of soccer at the same time. This picture reminds me of how determined I was to do so, to reach my goals of becoming a teacher.

I made this talking stick at our B.Ed class trip to McQueen lake at the beginning of the semester. Auntie Trish, the programs elder, led us through an arts & crafts session where we had the opportunity to make a talking stick and I was grateful to do so because I have never had one. I plan to incorporate this into future practicums and ultimately my future classroom to use during circle sessions.

For one of our courses during first semester, we got to make a video based on someone or something that inspired us to become a teacher. I chose to interview one of my high school teachers and my soccer trainer, of whom is also a teacher, down at Riverside Park because they had the most influence on my decision to become a teacher. They are amazing at what they do and really had me reflecting on what makes a ‘good’ teacher. I have been fortunate enough to know both of these teachers since I was fifteen years old, and they have both been providing me with advice that I am very grateful for, and will continue to put forth into my practice of becoming a teacher.

Beverly Ruberg is the gift that keeps on giving. She is an amazing woman who taught me in my first semester of the B.Ed program and her love for teaching is inspiring. Every class was exceptionally informative and she provided the most useful resources for us to continue to use throughout the program. She showed me what it takes and what it looks like to form relationships and bonds with your students. She took the time to know each of us on a personal level, which seldom occurs in a university course.

This is myself and my first teacher mentor, Amy, during my first practicum in the B.Ed program. My placement was at Arthur Hatton in a grade four class that had sixteen boys and six girls. To say that it was a busy class would be an understatement. This class taught me classroom management strategies that I did not even know I knew, until my teacher and faculty mentor praised me for them. I am thankful that I was able to experience a classroom like that because I like to be challenged; that is what practicum is for, isn’t it?